Saturday, March 14, 2009

My Seven Buck Chuck


While I patiently wait for Trader Joes to arrive in Hawaii, I have found a great cheap bottle of wine to replace TJ's famous "Two Buck Chuck".

Sending your hubby to the store to get wine is usually not a good idea, because you just never know what you may end up getting. But since I was busy preparing dinner, I had to count on Marvin to pick up a "decent" bottle of wine. I gave him 2 very simple instructions: 1) Get a bottle of Shiraz or Cabernet, 2) Keep the price point to under $15 per bottle.

Marvin came back with the $6.99 Yellow Tail Shiraz-Cabernet blend. To my surprise, it was actually really good. I would say the bottle tasted like something you can get at Tamura's for $20 - $25 a bottle. A wine expert once told me that a bottle of wine is good wine as long as it tastes good to you personally. I couldn't have agreed more. Who would have thought my beer-drinking, poke-eating hubby would find my new "Seven Buck Chuck"?

For brides who are having an off-premise wedding (such as Lanikuhonua, Loulu Palm Estate, HSAM....etc.), consider serving the Yellow Tail Shiraz-Cabernet as your red wine option. Your guests will probably never know it costs only $6.99 a bottle!

No comments: